FIREWORKS SAFETY NOTICE
The following recommendations for safe firework use are provided by the Office of State Fire Marshal and the Maine Forest Service
- A person may use consumer fireworks only on that persons property or on the property of a person who has consented to that use of fireworks on that property.
- Consumer fireworks may be used between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 10:00 p.m. except on the following dates when they may be used between 9:00 a.m. and 12:30 a.m. the following day:
- July 4th
- December 31st , and
- The weekends immediately before and after July 4th and December 31st
- Users, and those in possession of consumer fireworks, must be 21 years of age.
- Set off fireworks outdoors in a clear area, away from houses, dry leaves, or grass and other flammable materials.
- Keep a bucket of water nearby for emergencies, do not handle fireworks that fail to go off. Use a long- handled shovel to scoop up the firework and immerse it in the bucket of water.
- Do not try to relight or handle malfunctioning fireworks. Soak them with water and throw them away.
- Be sure other people and children are out of range before lighting fireworks.
- Never light fireworks in a container, especially a glass or metal container.
- Keep unused fireworks away from firing areas.
- Always use fireworks according to the manufacturer’s directions and guidelines.
- Always use eye, ear, and hand personal protective equipment.
- Observe all local laws and ordinances.
- Never have any portion of your body directly over a firework while lighting.
- When use of fireworks is done, continue to watch the area of use to be sure that all fireworks debris is out and not smoldering or hot.
- Search any forested area adjacent to and downwind of the ignition site looking for hot or smoldering debris. Scan the forest canopy, as well as the ground. If a wildfire occurs as a result of negligence, then you may be responsible for fire suppression costs.
- In case of emergency, dial 911.
For more information regarding firework use in the Town of Bridgton, please see the Consumer Fireworks Ordinance